Every year Blue Peter runs some form of Doctor Who related competition or another – whether it be to design an alien for Peter Kay to dress up as in an actual episode or to re-design the TARDIS interior.
In fact that is the most recent competition from the age old children‘s magazine show – a competition to design a new look for Matt Smith‘s TARDIS – at least one that will appear in an episode of the new Doctor Who.
The Blue Peter team provided all the info you need including a template, Do’s and Dont’s, a couple of example designs and even a video.
They tell the children (or the Dad’s doing the work anyway) to use the template, include notes on features, use any method you like and to use things from around the house in the design.
This is all very interesting in a number of ways – firstly it means there will be more than one console design in the new series as this only appears in one episode and more importantly – it means we’ll HAVE a new console/TARDIS design.
But the kicker here for me though is the age groups it is open to, the age groups these things are ALWAYS open to. There are three groups (and I have a child in each) the 6 and 7s, the 8, 9 and 10s and finally the 11s and 12s.
But what about the 20-30s, the 30-40s and up? What about those of us that aren’t children but still love Doctor Who, that would love to have a design used in Doctor Who – where is the competition for Grown-Ups to have a go?
I’m writing this now for two reasons 1) I’ve just realised that The Waters of Mars is on this Sunday and the competition closes on Thursday.
I’ve been very good this year and have managed to avoid more or less ALL spoilers for The Waters on Mars to the point that I didn’t realise it was on until I read a tweet.
Still – Sunday is going to be GOOOD.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Doctor Who Awash in Action with New “Waters of Mars” Trailer (wired.com)
- Want To Redesign The TARDIS For Doctor Who? (screenrant.com)
- Doctor Who? There’s no question who the Doctor is at Comic-Con (canada.com)
- Will the Ice Warriors appear in the Doctor Who episode ‘The Waters of Mars’ ? (hubdub.com)
- BBC defends Blue Peter contest (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Fans to redesign Tardis console (news.bbc.co.uk)
- David Tennant and RTD give an exit interview (tvsquad.com)
- New Dr Who hailed as ‘the best’ (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Doctor Who: Tennant’s exit (guardian.co.uk)