I’ve been working on a feature about electric cars for about two weeks now – the basic idea behind being ‘should Jersey look at having all electric hire and pool cars’.
Up until today I hadn’t really gotten anywhere, the closest thing to usable electric pool cars I’ve found is the Toyota Prius and that just felt a little predictable.
They’ll apparently do 70 miles on a single charge with that single charge costing around £1.20. They also charge from a standard 13 Amp, three pin plug.
So in a place like Jersey that gets all its electricity from French Nuclear Power, is only 45 square miles and where most people rarely do more than 30-40 miles in a day and regularly do much less – electric cars have a potential home.
It would basically mean that instead of costing something like 6.4p/mile at the current petrol prices it would cost around 1.7p/mile in the electric smart car – less as battery power improves and electricity prices reduce.
Well tomorrow I’m going to test drive one of the new Smart EDs – actually when I say test drive, what I really mean is sit in the passenger seat while a colleague drives it as I don’t have a licence.
But we will be going out in it together to get a feel for driving it, what it sounds like, what it drives like – apparently it has a limited top speed of 60mph – with an island wide speed limit of 40 I can’t imagine we’ll reach the top.
While going around the island in the car I’m going to put a camera on the dashboard to record our thoughts and reactions as well as take photos along the way – but what should I be looking out for, what things would you think necessary in a car pool car?
I’ll post the video, audio, photos and my thoughts up here as well as on bbc.co.uk/jersey tomorrow afternoon.
Not sure how big the cup holder is yet or whether it has an iPod dock.
Related articles by Zemanta
- NICE Electric Car Company also in Trouble (treehugger.com)
- The continued evolution of the electric car (samizdata.net)
- Toyota unveils next-generation Prius (sciam.com)
- Electric cars and the future of Detroit (money.cnn.com)
- Norway Electric Car Sales Set Records: High Gas Prices Anyone? (treehugger.com)
- Behind the Wheel | 2010 Honda Insight: A New Hybrid Sprouts in the Shadow of the Prius (nytimes.com)
- Honda’s New Insight Hybrid Car Detailed (gizmodo.com.au)